Tuesday, February 26, 2008

SHAKA SIGN!

The Famous Hand Sign in HAWAII

When I first saw this hand sign I was really wondering, and ask myself, whats that for?, why they often do that sign? what does it mean, and I get so sick looking everywhere anywhere doing that hand gestures, even my hubby do that all the time when we're driving or meeting with friends! why? why? ohh why?
Now I already understand it's meaning and appreciate it. The origin as they say prevailing local lore credited the gesture to Kalili Hamana of Laie, who lost the three middle fingers of his right hand while working at the Kahuku Sugar Mill. Hamana was then shifted to guarding the sugar train, and his all-clear wave of thumb and pinkie is said to have evolved over the years into the "shaka".
Now a days the shaka is use for various meanings, like "all right", "cool", "smooth", etc. Residents of states other than Hawaii who use the shaka may describe it as meaning "hang loose". It is also used to convey what locals in Hawai'i call the "Aloha Spirit," a gesture of friendship and understanding between the various ethnic cultures that reside within Hawai'i. It can also be used to signal a "hello", "goodbye", " 'till next time", "take care", "Alright!".
The sign is often followed by waving as a greeting or acknowledgement. It can be used when driving as a signal of thanks to other drivers (for example, someone who stopped to let another driver onto the road from a driveway). now I understand my hubby.
guys hang loose for more LOCAL LIVING.

Credits

myWeb-Blog Designs

Subscribe


RSS Feed (xml)